May 6, 2016
Welcome to this episode. Our
topic is Mother’s Day and why it can be tough for some people. In
fact, some people hate Mother’s Day because of a history of
childhood emotional neglect, abuse, or trauma. Know that you’re not
alone and that many people have mixed feelings about this holiday.
Let’s discuss it!
What you’ll hear in this
episode:I hear four reasons from clients as to why Mother’s Day can
- “My mom isn’t here and I miss
- Solution: Find ways to honor
your feelings and her memory.
- “I’m dealing with
- Solution: Celebrate however YOU
want, even if it’s unconventional.
- “My childhood included neglect,
abuse, or trauma.”
- Solution: Do what makes you feel
special and nurtured.
- “I’m a single mom who is
unsupported EVERY day of the year.”
- Solution: Reach out to a friend
who is also a single mom.
- I have two
recommendations that might help deal with a difficult Mother’s
- Avoid social media on Mother’s
Day and the day after.
- Try a little self-nurturing
- Called “metta,” it includes
simple breathing awareness and the repeated phrases, “May I be
safe, May I be happy, May I be kind to myself, and May I be free of
- Remember, you are NOT
alone. Therapy can help!
- Visit laurareaganlcswc.com/mindfulness
for two free downloads and meditation help.