Apr 30, 2020
Thank you to this episode's sponsor, TherapyNotes. Get a 2-month free trial of TherapyNotes by going to www.TherapyNotes.com and using the promo code TherapyChat.
In today's episode, host Laura Reagan, LCSW-C interviews a guest who is an expert on grief. Claire Bidwell Smith is a therapist and the author of the new book, Anxiety: the Missing Stage of Grief. Here's what was discussed:
- Therapy Chat has been focusing on grief this year, but
episodes have taken a detour to focus more directly on the current
worldwide pandemic happening in April of 2020. Today's episode is
fitting for both the pre and post COVID19 world.
- Laura and Claire talk about some of their own experiences with grief, as well as common themes heard in work with clients in both of their therapy practices
- Claire explains how Elizabeth Kubler Ross's stages of the dying process became what most people recognize as the "stages of grief"
- Claire describes the "missing stage" of grief - anxiety and how it shows up for us
- Claire offers tips for those who are finding themselves overwhelmed with anxiety and panic during the pandemic and at any point while living with grief
- Claire shares some suggestions of books and other resources including her own online courses and meditations to help people come to terms with grief
Claire Bidwell Smith is a licensed therapist specializing in grief and the author of two previous books of nonfiction: The Rules of Inheritance and After This. She has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Guardian, The Huffington Post, Salon.com, Slate, Chicago Public Radio, Psychology Today, Yoga Journal, and BlackBook Magazine. She received her Master’s Degree in clinical psychology from Antioch University, and has a therapy practice in Los Angeles while also working with clients around the globe.
Thank you to Doxy.me for sponsoring this week's episode of Therapy Chat. Doxy.me is an easy to use, HIPAA compliant telehealth platform that is available in free and paid versions. Get $50 off a paid account by going to doxy.me and putting in the code THERAPYCHAT.
Leave me a message via Speakpipe by going to https://therapychatpodcast.com and clicking on the green Speakpipe button.
Thank you for listening to Therapy Chat! Please be sure to go to iTunes and leave a rating and review, subscribe and download episodes. You can also download the Therapy Chat app on iTunes by clicking here.
Podcast produced by Pete Bailey - https://petebailey.net/audio