May 12, 2016
Welcome! My guest for this
episode is Dr. Andrea Brandt, a psychotherapist, speaker, and
author who has much knowledge and experience to bring to the table.
Her book, Mindful Anger: A Pathway to Emotional Freedom,
explores revolutionary thinking on the topic of anger. Join us as
we discuss mindful anger.
What you’ll hear in this
- Mindfulness and anger are not
usually thought of as partners.
- Anger is almost always viewed as
a negative emotion.
- “The Pleasure Principle” that
humans live by teaches us to avoid anger.
- The goal? To get wisdom from
- Anger helps us set boundaries,
meet needs, and accomplish change.
- Andrea shares a personal example
from her own family, where a passive-aggressive approach to anger
stemmed from the murder of her grandfather by the Chicago mob in
- Andrea later went through
therapy and learned to get in touch with her feelings.
- She remembers being startled by
the power of the energy in tandem with anger.
- “Anger is a very
corrosive emotion if you don’t have the tools to deal with
- Conflict and anger CAN
strengthen relationships and don’t have to destroy
- Andrea shares how she uses
snowglobe imagery to help clients deal with anger with
- “The Good, the Bad, and the
Ugly”: how our anger belief systems are learned during
- Andrea’s book can help with
anger in the following ways:
- Deepening your understanding of
- Learning new ways of perceiving
and dealing with anger
- Using exercises to learn to
benefit from anger
- Learning how to catch the
impulse of anger
- Realizing what your triggers to
- Learning to use assertive
- Using mindfulness and
meditations in response to anger
- Helping passive-aggressive
people deal with anger more directly
- “It’s not ANGER that
needs to be managed, but the impulse that precedes the
people are deeply committed to INACTION.”
- Andrea discusses the mind-body
connection to anger.
- How sensorimotor psychotherapy
can be effective and powerful in dealing with anger
- Connect with Dr. Brandt at
email her at email@example.com.
Find her book on Amazon!